Unable to return money

Dec 19, 2022 | Business & Trade


A company employee carried out a service on my car and part of the service was they do a pick and drop off which they charge £30 for. I paid for the service but not the £30. I asked the employee who carried out the task about the payment and he provided a link. However, the link didn’t work and when I asked for how to make the payment, he said it’s fine and to leave it. What should I do? Am I allowed to keep the money, should I still pay the company or should I give the amount to charity?
I also owed a different company money for a service and they were taking regular instalments from me. This then stopped even though I still have an outstanding balance. I will attempt to contact them but if they do not reply or they say it’s fine can I keep the remaining money or should I give it as charity?


If you have benefitted from a service then you are required to pay the company for that service. If the company wishes they can forgive any outstanding amounts. Only those who are entitled through their role to make such decisions can forgive such outstanding amounts.

You mentioned in the question that an employee said to you that you do not need to pay. If this employee has such a position in the company that they have been allowed to make such decisions then you would not need to pay. On the other hand, if the employee is a regular worker and not entitled to make such decisions then you will still need to contact the company and pay the outstanding amounts.

The same will apply for the second company. You should contact them and take guidance from them. If you are unable to get in contact with them, the precautious act would be to donate the amounts in charity.

Answered by:
Ifta Research Fellow

Checked & Approved by:
Mufti Abdul Rahman Mangera
Mufti Zubair Patel